More than 11 percent of babies born in the U.S. are premature. Of these infants, more than 70 percent will be admitted to a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Beaumont Children's Hospital has two NICU locations.
- At Beaumont, Royal Oak, the 50-bed NICU specializes in caring for high-risk, premature and critically ill newborns. Board-certified neonatologists are on site 24 hours a day to provide care, along with a multidisciplinary team experienced in treating premature newborns. The intensive care unit is family-centered and provides the latest in treatment.
- At Beaumont Hospital, Troy, the 24-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit treats high-risk, premature newborns of 28 weeks or more gestation. A special care nursery is available to handle needs of low-risk newborns.
Nurturing Babies, Supporting Families
Although the fragile newborns we care for are sustained by sophisticated equipment, Beaumont Children’s Hospital never loses sight of the healing power of “the human touch.” To actively support family ties
- there are no restrictions on visiting hours; in fact, we encourage you to visit your baby at any time
- we encourage you to hold your baby whenever possible because "skin-to-skin" care is an important aspect of nurturing
- breastfeeding coaches are available to help you feed your premature baby
- the Parenting Program, provides an extensive support system for parents with children in the NICU that gives moms and dads the opportunity to talk with other parents in a similar situation
Knowledgeable NICU Experts
Our highly skilled, board-certified neonatologists deliver specialized care deliver and the most technologically advanced treatment in Beaumont Children's Hospital's state-of-the-art facilities. Special procedures available in our NICU include:
- surgery for advanced retinopathy of prematurity
- high frequency oscillatory ventilation
- inhaled nitric oxide therapy
- neuroprotective head cooling
The 36 pediatric medical and surgical subspecialists at Beaumont Children’s Hospital are trained to assist in every aspect of your baby’s continuing care and development. Beaumont’s physicians, nurses and other clinical staff care for thousands of tiny babies each year and are always willing to share their expertise and insights. Staff neonatologists provide ongoing communication and are available to you and your baby at Beaumont Children’s Hospital 24 hours a day. Your team continues to be available for follow-up care after your baby leaves the hospital.
Beaumont Children’s Hospital offers premature infants treatment for:
- complications of prematurity
- congenital birth defects
- intestinal disorders
- liver disorders
- newborn seizures
- newborn surgical problems
- nonsurgical heart disease
- respiratory failure
Out-of-Town Patients & Visitors -
Need help coordinating your care and travel arrangements? Let our Guest Services team help.